Monday, July 2, 2012

Apple Pie Cupcakes

Apple Pie Cupcakes
A couple months ago I went to see one of my favorite bands, M83, play in Pomona, CA. While waiting in line to get in, we just happened to be placed right beside a cupcake shop. Of course I can't remember what the name of the shop was, but I do remember the glorious cupcake we tried... Apple Pie. It was warm and had just the right amount of spice on it. With all of the fruity cupcakes I've been doing (and enjoying) lately, I decided to look for some kind of apple cupcake recipe. And I found an apple pie cupcake one right here on Annie's Eats! The icing recipe I used was from the lovely Brown Eyed Baker blog. Just a normal vanilla buttercream.

Easy enough recipe. Just a regular vanilla cupcake with a scoop of cooked apples in the middle. My sister helped me cut and core the apples. She's a nice person :) Then I just cooked the apples in cinnamon, sugar, and butter. They're Granny Smith apples, though, so it took awhile to get them to a good softness. And even at the end they were still a little crisp.

Most people liked them. I decided to try one half cold, and then heated up the second half to see if I liked it more warm or cold. The icing of course melts all off, but I definitely liked it more warm than cold. So keep that in mind when making these. If you're serving them immediately then I would make them without the icing, heat them up, and add a big spoonful of vanilla ice cream on top!

Sister helped cut and core the apples!
The cinnamon and sugar made them look beautiful.
The bounced back a bit when I pressed on the tops. Perfect!
Definitely overfilled the cupcakes with apples. Had to make sure they had enough of the best part!
Topped with buttercream when they cooled off.

2 comments:

  1. What I want to know is what you did with the cake parts you scooped out to make room for the apples?! Looks YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gave them to Ricardo! haha and all the extra apples, too!

    ReplyDelete